Crispy Muesli Cookies
Crunchy and crispy muesli cookies are such a delightful healthy option for sweet biscuits. They’re packed with all nutritious dried fruits and nuts with the right amount of sweetness that won’t make you feel guilty about having them.
If you go to the shops and supermarkets, there are loads of so-called muesli or granola cookies that offer goodness for health. They’re all wrapped up in inviting packaging that one will be tempted to buy.
While buying those cookies is the most convenient and quickest option, I promise you can make the same, if not better, cookies for a fraction of the price.
And the best bonus is that your homemade muesli cookies are free from preservatives or additives. Like it or not, all shop-bought food will likely have some form of preservatives. So they can have a long (or longer) shelf life.
For Breakfast Or Nibbles
The idea of muesli cookies started from having breakfast on the go, right? As muesli always contains everything that one has in her/ his breakfast bowl. And that’s what these crunchy biscuits have.
This makes them a handy option when you don’t have much time to sit down for breakfast. You can literally grab a few of the cookies with your cuppa, and you’re good to go.
But of course, you can always enjoy the crispy granola-like biscuits as your sweet snacks and nibbles. Have them on the side of your afternoon tea (or coffee) or at any time of the day as you fancy them.
Versatile Healthy Ingredients
Oats, dried fruits and some nuts are the main ingredients of these healthy breakfast cookies.
You can choose any type of oatmeal to make these crunchy muesli cookies. But the best choices are rolled oats, instant/ quick oats and oat bran. If you’re not sure what to choose (as there can be endless options at the shop), just pick what is called porridge oats. It’s all good.
As for delicious sweet dried fruits, the choices are more versatile. You can choose raisins, sultanas, apricots, cranberries, figs, papaya, coconut, or many others. Pick and mix any combination of dried fruits you like. They’re all equally good for your cookies.
Last but not least, the nuts.
Don’t go nuts about choosing which one to put in your cookies. Any nuts are ideal for this recipe. Just make sure they’re all still crunchy. Walnuts, brazil nuts, macadamia nuts, almonds, cashew nuts and pecan nuts are what I tend to choose.
Tips To Make The Best Crunchy Muesli Cookies
- Work quickly on the dough. Do not overmix it because we don’t want the gluten in the flour to rise too much. Else, the cookies will be hard.
- Cut the fruits and nuts as small as possible so it will be easier for you to shape the cookies.
- Flatten the dough balls as thin as you can. If you find the dough too dry and hard to work on, splash a teaspoon or two of milk. But try not to add more than 2 teaspoons.
- I find that cold weather tends to make the dough a bit drier than warm weather. So I usually add milk when I make the cookies during cold seasons like the end of autumn, winter, or early spring.
- Some nuts may not be crispy anymore due to weather etc. In this case, you can pan roast and cool them first before chopping. So they will taste crunchy in the cookies.
Storing Your Cookies
Tight-lid containers or cookie jar is best to keep these cookies. If you store it in a dry and cool place, the cookies will stay fresh for more than 2 weeks. Though, in my household, the cookies never lasted more than 2-3 days.
You can freeze the cookie dough and bake it later when needed. Just follow the methods up to number 9, then freeze the flattened cookie discs on a tray before you put them in a freezer bag or a ziplock.
Thank you for stopping by to check this crunchy muesli cookie recipe. I hope you’re now thinking of trying it. When you do, please share what you think about it in the comments below.
Before you go, don’t forget to check out my other cookie recipes that you may like.
- Kue Putri Salju: Indonesian Snow White Butter Cookies.
- Coconut and date cookies.
- Chocolate chip cookies with coconut oil.
- White chocolate chip and cranberries cookies.
- Chewy chocolate chip cookies.
Thank you and all the best.